Roughly half of Twitter’s 7,500-person workforce has been laid off eight days into Elon Musk’s ownership of the company.
Several employees took to Twitter to say that their entire teams have been eliminated.
- A former engineering manager on Twitter’s Accessibility Experience Team said his entire engineering team has been laid off.
- A former Twitter human rights counsel said Twitter’s Human Rights team has been cut. The team worked to protect users facing human rights violations around the world.
- The team researching ethical artificial intelligence tech and algorithmic transparency “is gone,” a former engineering manager said.
- Twitter’s Curation team, in charge of compiling Twitter “Moments” for breaking news and adding context to trending topics, has been laid off, multiple former employees said.
- According to another former employee, Musk fired the team working on a feature that would remove a paywall for news articles at outlets that partner with Twitter. Musk recently heralded that potential feature.
- And Twitter’s communications and internet technology teams have been drastically downsized, The New York Times reported.