Inside the House GOP plan to investigate the White House
Kadia is a Political Reporter for Semafor, joining us from Buzzfeed News. Sign up for the daily Principals newsletter to get our insider’s guide to American power.
This story was originally published on Sept. 07, 2022.
House Republicans are laying plans for two years of investigations, impeachments, and retribution against Joe Biden and the Democrats. Targets include Merrick Garland and Alejandro Mayorkas, and everything from the border to inflation.
“We have an all-star lineup ready to investigate President Biden’s border crisis, energy crisis, inflation crisis,” Rep. James Comer told me today. Of course, this only happens if Republicans win the House.
Here’s what I’ve learned about those plans:
- I asked Comer about who would chair key subcommittees, he said Reps. Nancy Mace, R-S.C. and Rep. Yvette Herrell, N.M., among others, “will play a pivotal role in our efforts to hold the Biden Administration accountable and ensure the federal government is transparent and accountable to the American people.”
- Republican members of Congress have told me that the targets will include: Democrats’’ handling of the U.S.-Mexico border, inflation, energy and what they are calling the “politicization of the DOJ.”
- In a POLITICO interview, Comer also said Oversight will focus on the business dealings of Hunter Biden and the origins of COVID.
- Republicans are also discussing impeaching Attorney General Merrick Garland, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, and Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona, the latter over loan forgiveness.
- The White House is preparing for the deluge, and recently designated former Kamala Harris campaign spokesman Ian Sams as a point person for responding to investigations and attacks from the Hill.
Also read: The Washington Post’s take from back in January on revenge as the “2022 message.” It may not be the message, but it does seem to be the plan.